• News
  • Entertaiment

Why Patriots Trading Jimmy Garoppolo To 49ers 'Shocked' Skip Bayless

After more than a year of trade rumors involving Jimmy Garoppolo, the New England Patriots are finally dealing the fourth-year quarterback.

The New England Patriots made the stunning decision on Monday to trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the San Francisco 49ers for a 2018 second-round pick.

Garoppolo, just traded from the New England Patriots, is expected to need two weeks to study the playbook before stepping in and taking the starting quarterback job from rookie C.J. Beathard. Among Garoppolo's contributions included nearly immediately taking a leadership role of the 2014 rookie class, providing valuable insurance at the game's most important position, and then performing well when thrust into regular-season action. While subbing for the suspended Brady in 2016, Garoppolo led the Pats to two wins in two tries, completing 43-of-63 passes for 502 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions while posting a quarterback rating of 113.3.

The trade left Tom Brady as the only quarterback still on the Patriots roster.

The risk is even greater when considering that the Patriots had a third layer of insurance in Jacoby Brissett, who was traded in early September to the Colts in exchange for receiver Phillip Dorsett.

This move could have happened for a couple reasons. "I want to be a starter, and compete to be a starter". It is hard to fault him for that. I would not count anything out with Malcolm Butler right now - he's gonna test the market next year, no question, but if he doesn't like the offers that are out there, I absolutely could see a scenario where he returns to the Patriots.

"I was convinced ... that they were just going to have to let Tom go after this year", Bayless said Tuesday on FS1's "Undisputed" in discussing how "shocked" he was over the Garoppolo trade.

Garoppolo, 25, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season. The 49ers are getting a good player, they are getting a good person and they're getting a great teammate and they are getting a good quarterback. New England would have had to either place the transition or franchise tag on Garoppolo to keep him from hitting free agency.

So Brady has done what few quarterbacks have been able to pull off - get better with age.

First, they acquired a highly-regarded quarterback who could be the future of the franchise. Again, we don't know the offers that they received. With that in mind, this now puts them in a tough spot. With Brady still playing at G.O.A.T. levels, that just wasn't feasible.

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment

Latest News

• Super Mario Odyssey review: Marvellous Mario embarks on his greatest adventure

Super Mario Odyssey review: Marvellous Mario embarks on his greatest adventure

Nintendo has released Super Mario Odyssey update 1.0.1 for the Nintendo Switch ( Amazon, $296.00 ) which includes several fixes. These can be collected in almost any order, although some only become available once the initial tasks have been completed.

Morning Buzz: Aviragen Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:AVIR)

When charted, the RSI can serve as a visual means to monitor historical and current strength or weakness in a certain market. Unusual volume can be a major signal that investment gurus and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst.
    Who needs drones when Amazon Key delivers packages into your home?

And Amazon said the deliveries are carried out by drivers who are vetted with background checks and driving record reviews. To deliver your orders even when you are not home you , Amazon thinks of having found the key, or rather the lock.
  • Here's the new teaser for The Last of Us Part II

Here's the new teaser for The Last of Us Part II

Especially not in a post-hospital world like this one. "Clip her wings." is probably going to stick with me for awhile. The execution is delayed when a new hostage shows up, and a boy skilled with the bow and arrow saves them.
    McConnell: Trump Touched on Tax Reform, Nominees, Opioids

Thanksgiving holiday, echoing Trump's call to speed up the party's efforts to get the measure approved before year's end. Ryan said he wants the House to pass the Republican tax cut bill by the November 23 U.S.

Taylor Swift naked in new music video

One user questioned the fans' hand placements October 15, writing, "why are your hands on her stomach??? is she pregnant or what". She has a whole new crop of ex-boyfriends to admonish in her songs and projects a far more sexual image.
  • Bon Ton Stores The (BONT) Trending Activity with Technical Depiction

To measure price-variation, we found BONT's volatility during a week at 62.19% and during a month it has been found around 21.97%. A high ROIC number typically reflects positively on company management while a low number typically reflects the opposite.
    OnePlus 5T specifications Revealed through Antutu Listing

Yes, this one is going to sting if you've just mustered the courage to buy a OnePlus 5, and I still can't wrap my head around it. But while we are still waiting for it official announcement, OnePlus 5T has surfaced online along with price and specifications.
    Google Faces Pixel 2 Disaster

Google Faces Pixel 2 Disaster

UBreakiFix now has over 335 retail locations and the company says they've fixed tens of thousands of Pixel smartphones already. We were also told that two of these devices will be considered "premium", while the third will fit into the "high" end tier.
  • RCPD gives a few safety tips for Halloween trick-or-treaters

RCPD gives a few safety tips for Halloween trick-or-treaters

Customers who wear a Halloween costume to Chipotle any time after 3 p.m. can get a $3 burrito, bowl, salad or order of tacos. Cars - Trick-or-treaters: Keep an eye out for cars and look both ways while trick-or-treating in the dark.
    Anthony Joshua beats stand-in opponent Carlos Takam in tough fight

Anthony Joshua insists he remains humble and hungry ahead of Saturday's world heavyweight title defence against Carlos Takam. The fight was paused near the start of round 9 as the doctors needed to look at Takam's cuts, who let the fight continue.
    Pune ODI engulfed in corruption scandal

Pune ODI engulfed in corruption scandal

The hosts are in trial mode, resting players and testing combinations as they have their eyes set on the 2019 World Cup. We have taken a good look at the videos, how they played and from where [lengths] they sweep and things like that.
  • Analysts See Under Armour, Inc. (NYSE:UAA) Rising 12.8%

Analysts See Under Armour, Inc. (NYSE:UAA) Rising 12.8%

On average, equities research analysts forecast that Under Armour, Inc . will post $0.37 EPS for the current year. ( UAA ). The simple moving average is a mathematical calculation that takes the average price (mean) for a given amount of time.
    Tottenham Hotspur forward Harry Kane to miss Manchester United clash

Kane's participation could also be in doubt against Real Madrid, which could determine which club will finish top of the group. Pochettino said it was only a "small issue" but he did not want to exacerbate the problem by playing him against United.

Microsoft Discontinues Production of the Kinect

That meant getting the console at its most expensive time, as well as being force-bundled with the Kinect . Although production of the Kinect has been halted, it will continue to be used for different purposes.
  • Nintendo Switch sells 7.6 million units worldwide

The famous Japanese video games console maker Nintendo Co Ltd.is expecting its highest earnings in seven years. KitGuru says: The Nintendo Switch is certainly doing well for Nintendo .
    Issues in the Republican tax plan — Business Report

It was originally designed in the 1980s to be a supplement to pensions plans, not the main way Americans save for retirement. The yearly maximum pre-tax amount allowed for each employee is $18,000, and it is set to increase next year to $18,500.

Reviewing the Insider Trends for Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD)

Over a month, it has seen its stock price volatility to stay at 2.4% while shortening the period to a week, volatility was 2.66%. The stock is now moving above its 20-Day Simple Moving Average of 4.82% with a 50-Day Simple Moving Average of 8.73 percent.

Breaking News

Recommended

Favorable trick or treat weather; showers/storms likely Wednesday

There should be another cold front arriving Thursday , which will cool things off a bit for the end of the week. Wednesday will be partly sunny with a slight chance of showers and highs agains in the mid 50s.

Apple fires iPhone X engineer after daughter's hands-on video goes viral

In 2005 Microsoft fired one of its employees after his son leaked photos of the unreleased Xbox 360 on to the world wide web. Peterson's father can be heard saying in the original video that "I did the Apple Pay on that phone, so I wanted to test it".

Wind advisory issued for Sunday

We could also see some downed tree branches and potential power outages as we get into Monday and those will pick up further. A coastal storm making its way up the East Coast is expected to bring heavy rainfall and powerful wind gusts to New Jersey.

Trunk-or-treats in Searcy start this weekend - The Daily Citizen

The Nanticoke City Events Committee will host Trunk or Treat at Greater Nanticoke Area Senior High School from 5 to 7 p.m. The merchants association will give out free glow jewelry and hold costume contests for children ages 15 and under.

Google responds to Pixel 2 XL screen burn-in issues

Burn-in, which usually becomes a problem only after several years of activity, can make it hard to see information on the display. Google went for a relatively narrow color gamut to make the colors look more natural, but Android users aren't much used to that.

Amazon Profits Wafer Thin As Revenues Soar, AWS Biggest Contributor

Amazon generated 59 percent of its sales in North America, where it is now scouting a site for a second company headquarters. Amazon sales increased by 34 percent during the third quarter to $43.7 billion, the e-commerce giant reported on Thursday.

IPhone X Is Officially Available for Pre-Order - Place Yours Now

What this means is that you will need to sport a fast trigger finger when you're placing the pre-order for the device. The iPhone X was announced a month ago during Apple's September event alongside the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus .

USA warns of "Bad Rabbit" ransomware that hit computers in Europe

However, ESET, a Czech Republic-based security company said that, like NotPetya , Bad Rabbit is a variant of the Petya ransomware. The scheme of the new virus resembles earlier ones and similar vulnerabilities can be used to spread it, the top manager noted.

Animal Crossing Mobile will be revealed this week via Nintendo Direct

We all know that free Android games aren't always free these days, but many of them are very close if you have a little patience. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp revolves around leaf tickets that are gathered through various activities and completing milestones.

Sam's Grading The Pack Week 7: I Miss The Old Brett

His three rushes for 44 Yards and a touchdown was the only thing keeping him from an even worse grade this week. Should Brett Hundley be the starting quarterback moving forward? His longest completion went for only 14 yards.