• News
  • Money

SoftBank's Tender Bid For Uber Massively Successful

SoftBank's Tender Bid For Uber Massively Successful

SoftBank has access to all kinds of technology that could be relevant to Uber's self-driving vehicle plans via its other investments, and with its help, Uber will be better positioned to expand into Asia. That would value the app-based taxi company at $48 billion, or about 30% less than the $69 billion valuation it had after its last funding round.

SoftBank, a Japanese tech and telecoms consortium, has acquired a 13-15 percent stake in Uber, according to the Wall Street Journal. Since then, Uber, which has yet to turn an annual profit, has endured scandal after scandal, changing how investors and the general public view the company.

A former employee's charges of endemic sexual harassment led to an internal review, London has said it is stripping Uber of its license and recently Uber announced it had covered up a major hack.

The deal is expected to close at the beginning of 2018.

But for Uber's existing investors and the ego of founder Travis Kalanick, the deal has some very bad news. The closing of the deal will also mark the end of the company's supervoting share structure, moving the company to a "one share, one vote" system that further weakens the influence of early executives and shareholders. Early investors like Benchmark Capital and Menlo are understood to be the ones that are selling the largest amount of Uber shares as part of SoftBank's offer and will see a return of approximately 3,600 times their investment. SoftBank will occupy two seats on the company's board and will now be an extremely influential player in decisions at Uber.

Uber's legal tangles include a lawsuit by Alphabet Inc.'s self-driving vehicle unit Waymo that alleges trade-secrets theft and federal investigations that span possible bribery of foreign officials in Asian countries and the use of software to evade regulators.

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment


Latest News

Breaking News



Recommended

Crystal Palace Vs Arsenal

Belgium forward, Christian Benteke returns for the game against Arsenal after he was suspended for the game with Swansea. However, Mamadou Sakho is ruled out with a calf strain and Joel Ward is also a doubt with a groin problem.

'Horrific on-, amusing off-Camera': Twitter Mourns Star Wars' Iconic Dr Evazan

Although Curtis' role in George Lucas' sci-fi classic was brief, his scene remains one of Star Wars' most memorable. The conversation was then cut off when Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alex Guinness) came flying in with a lightsaber.

Nike releases very purple Phoenix Suns' City Edition uniforms

The Bulls will wear their new "City" edition uniforms for the first time on January 26 when they host the Los Angeles Lakers. Nike provided a photo album of the new uniforms with Indiana Pacers star Victor Oladipo posing in numerous pictures.

NFL Mock Draft: Josh Rosen goes to Browns

Second-round pick DeShone Kizer has been miserable this season, and it is certain he is not the answer moving forward. If he does declare, some Browns fans thought he was a sure thing with the No. 1 overall pick.

Flu rising at rapid rate in state

So far 43% of you say you're going downhill, but the remaining 57% say you're doing just fine. "We should be alarmed every year". We're finally starting to see those cold Wabash Valley temps and with it, comes the prime breeding grounds for the flu virus.

Pot use among pregnant women of all ages continues rise

Some soon-to-be-moms are turning to marijuana to quell the uncomfortable side effects of pregnancy such as morning sickness. Researchers observed a sample of pregnant women in California and saw a 3-percent increase in use form 2009 through 2016.

Chiefs will start Patrick Mahomes at QB Sunday

Denver and Jacksonville could also use a veteran quarterback next year if they can afford Smith's contract. In his stead, rookie top-10 pick Patrick Mahomes will receive the first start of his career.

Extreme cold, but no precipitation, in Thursday forecast

As you shiver in your auto before the heat kicks in, you might think this is the coldest it's ever been, but you would be wrong. Mostly sunny skies should return New Year's Day , but the NWS anticipates a high of 40 degrees on Monday, Jan. 1.

Nintendo Delays 64-GB Cartridges for Switch Until 2019, Per Reports

Some publishers may even postpone the launch of their games on the Switch in order to have access to the larger cartridges. According to this report , Nintendo has delayed the delivery of the 64GB game cards to 2019 due to technical issues.

'Phony Hillary Clinton Investigation': Trump Smears Retiring FBI Deputy Director

It was broadly known within the Federal Bureau of Investigation that McCabe was eligible to retire this coming spring. As part of her campaign, she accepted almost $500,000 in contributions from the political organization of Gov.