• News
  • Sport

Alonso confirmed for WEC

Alonso confirmed for WEC

Fernando Alonso will compete at this year's historic Le Mans 24 Hours race in pursuit of completing motor racing's prestigious "Triple Crown".

This announcement comes only a few days after Alonso's first endurance race, the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, which saw the Spaniard finishing in 38th place overall in the #23 United Autosports auto alongside team-mates Lando Norris and Philip Hanson. The 36-year-old Spaniard announced plans to join Toyota Gazoo Racing for the 24 Hours of Le Mans this June. So he'll get more seat time in the No8 Toyota TS050 Hybrid he'll share with S├ębastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima than WEC's headline race.

This also follows Alonso's maiden attempt at winning the Indianapolis 500 last year, which established his desire to win motorsport's coveted "triple crown", with this year giving him the opportunity to further this in June when he competes in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. But at last year's Indy 500, he led for 27 laps before engine failure retired his auto.

'It's no secret that Fernando has wanted to contest the Le Mans 24 Hours.

"It is a big challenge. much can go wrong, but I am ready, prepared and looking forward to the fight". "And I think everybody within our organisation appreciates that a motivated, hungry and happy world-class driver such as Fernando is a formidable asset for any team in F1", said Brown.

'Last year, we came to the joint decision to go racing with Fernando at the Indy 500 rather than at the Monaco grand prix.

"Like Fernando, at McLaren we're racers at heart, and our team is built on a fearless heritage of competing and succeeding in different forms of the sport". "Equally important is the confidence that nothing detracts from our number one goal of Formula One".

"After proper evaluation, we are satisfied that this campaign does not (compromise the F1 effort) and that McLaren's best interests prevail".

However, the double world champion will not miss Formula One races, unlike past year when he skipped the Monaco Grand Prix to race in the Indianapolis 500.

Having competed in last weekend's Daytona 24 Hours where he finished 38th alongside Phil Hanson and Lando Norris - 90 laps off the winners after suffering two brake failures - Alonso will now fully commit to the upcoming WEC season, with the Spaniard only due to miss the Japanese round at Fuji in October as it clashes with the F1 Grand Prix of the Americas in Texas.

With the Monaco Grand Prix already in the bag, Alonso is plainly still deadly serious about becoming only the second driver to have won motorsport's so-called Triple Crown alongside Graham Hill.

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment


Latest News

Breaking News



Recommended

Leaked government analysis reportedly predicts Brexit will make Britain worse off economically

More than 190 peers are listed to speak in a marathon two-day second reading debate on the EU (Withdrawal) Bill. Mr Rees-Mogg insisted that said he knew nothing about the reports, saying: 'That is nothing to do with me'.

Rob Gronkowski declares himself 'ready to roll' in Instagram post

It remains unclear whether his status for next weekend's Super Bowl meeting with the Philadelphia Eagles is affected. Come Sunday, however, all signs point to Gronkowski playing, and that's good news for the Patriots .

Former 'Glee' Star Mark Salling Found Dead

He was reportedly found dead close to where he lived, weeks before he was due to be jailed over child pornography charges. The late actor's Glee costars and crew members took to social media on Tuesday to react to his death .

Turkey condemns deadly attack on army academy in Kabul

The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack on Monday, according to the militant group's Amaq news agency. But SIGAR insists it was originally told the information could not be made public.

Adele transforms into country music icon Dolly Parton, and it's really something

The way you worded it I thought she was dead! "Listen, I thought Dolly had passed away from this post and I started crying". As if the cute pic wasn't enough of a tribute to the country singer, Adele's caption definitely drove the point home.

Mourinho confirms he'll allow Ibrahimovic to leave Man Utd

However, the former Sweden global suffered a setback at the end of December but is reportedly due to resume training next week. ESPN are reporting that the Swedish striker has not yet signed a deal but the American club are ready to finance a deal.

Jason Day, Alex Noren face off in Monday playoff at Farmers

Playing out of the third-to-last threesome, he hit six (of 14) fairways and 10 greens in regulation, gaining 3.014 tee-to-green. Day joked that they could have continued to play, that all that was needed was some vehicle headlights along the fairway.

Daniel Sturridge close to loan switch from Liverpool to Newcastle United

He's to undergo a medical ahead of completing a deal. "This felt like the right fit", Sturridge told West Brom's official website. Inter have been heavily linked with a move for Sturridge and the striker is thought to be interested in a move to Italy.

WEEI radio host who insulted Tom Brady's daughter suspended indefinitely

Brady's fans - and the station itself - quickly condemned the remark, but it wasn't fully addressed on-air until Monday morning. WEEI's Alex Reimer was heard referring to Brady's 5-year-old daughter Vivian as an "annoying little pissant" last Thursday.

Girl's Daytime Kidnapping Captured in Chilling Footage

Authorities are now attempting to determine if the suspect has other victims that they don't know about. According to the Attorney's Office, Protho parked the vehicle in an alley and assaulted the child.