• News
  • Tech

YouTube Apologizes for Shooting Conspiracy Video

The channel received a single "strike" in response to a video it posted about David Hogg, a 17-year-old Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student who has publicly advocated for gun reform in the wake of surviving the February 14 massacre, CNN reported.

When you violate YouTube's Community Guidelines, the offending content is taken down and you're issued a strike.

In the wake of the February 14 shooting rampage that left 17 dead, Hogg became one of the leading student voices advocating for gun reform via social media and during many TV interviews.

YouTube did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the conspiracy video, or its policy for similar situations.

On social media, the interview from past year is being pointed to as "evidence" to suggest that Hogg is a "crisis actor", a regular theme of conspiracists, who believe actors appear at the sites of tragedies. Following news of the removal of the David Hogg video, CNN says that it has reported further videos to YouTube and they are now being reviewed.

"Last summer we updated the application of our harassment policy to include hoax videos that target the victims of these tragedies", said a YouTube spokesperson. The channel has been in operation since 2008 and now boasts over 2.2 million subscribers.

But CNN has identified three YouTube videos from InfoWars that cite such hoaxes and asked if they also violated YouTube's policies.

CNN has sent repeated inquiries to YouTube on the outcome of that review, but has not received a response.

If a channel receives three strikes from YouTube within three months, it gets banned from YouTube.

InfoWars founder Alex Jones has spread conspiracy theories about school shootings before, including claiming the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012 was fake. Of Parkland, he acknowledges that "real people were shot". Jones has said there is "officially ... about a 90 percent chance" the attack in Florida was a "deep state false flag operation".

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment

Latest News

• Bitcoin rises above $11000, first time since January

Bitcoin rises above $11000, first time since January

The cryptomarket will likely take its cues from Bitcoin however, with Bitcoin dominance continuing to rise, now sitting at 39.2. Yesterday, Bitcoin hit its highest price point of the year, surging to $11,700 before dropping by more than $1,000.

The Government Confirms Support for Opt-Out Organ Donation Bill

Seven hundred and twenty-one of them are Utahns waiting for a life-saving organ to become available. Ms Doyle-Price said the current system meant lives are being lost "unnecessarily".
    Father slashes son's throat, almost  decapitating 2-year-old

Father slashes son's throat, almost decapitating 2-year-old

Deenihan said Ortiz and his wife have six other children and hopes the arrest will bring "some level of closure" to the family. He was just an innocent kid whose trust and safety was betrayed by the one man he should never have to question.
  • Third period dooms Badgers at Ohio State

Third period dooms Badgers at Ohio State

IN has progressed steadily all season, understands what coach Archie Miller expects and have learned how to challenge everyone. As a guaranteed top-four seed, Ohio State is locked into a double-bye into the quarterfinals, which will be held on Friday.
    Minnesota Timberwolves' Butler carried off court after injury

The pay-per-view possibilities alone would be delicious, although the game would probably be unlikely during the season. The Rockets will look to run their win streak to 12 games when they visit the Denver Nuggets Sunday night.
    Anbang is big test of China's non-market market

The CIRC also said Anbang's chairman and key shareholder, Wu Xiaohui , has been prosecuted for economic crimes. Anbang distributes insurance through multiple channels, with the bulk going through banks.
  • FBI Recorded Arizona Coach Allegedly Discussing $100K Payment For Deandre Ayton

FBI Recorded Arizona Coach Allegedly Discussing $100K Payment For Deandre Ayton

The FBI has recorded 3,000 hours of conversation between the two, which were tapped through Dawkins' phone. Ayton is now a freshman on the No. 14-ranked Wildcats, where he averages 19 points and 10 rebounds a game.
    Shocking- Bollywood actress Sridevi is no more ..

Sridevi is honoured with Padma Sri award in 2013 by Government of India, while other honours and awards are unlimited for her. Legendary Bollywood actress Sridevi passed away late on Saturday night following cardiac arrest, India media reported.
    Files Go adds quicker way of backing up files to Google Drive

It'll be an interesting move by Reliance Jio because it can still bring over most of its KaiOS-based apps to Android Go devices . Android Enterprise Recommended could make Android phones more appealing to enterprises who need resilience and manageability.
  • Pentagon Will Not Confirm Russian Stealth Fighters Deployed to Syria

Pentagon Will Not Confirm Russian Stealth Fighters Deployed to Syria

Israeli satellite imagery has confirmed the deployment of Russia's newest Sukhoi Su-57 stealth fighter jets in war-torn Syria . The list of adversaries Russian Federation would need Su-57 fighters to combat is uncomfortably short.
    Decacorn watch: Dropbox files for a $500 million IPO

Exact pricing on the shares will arrive in the upcoming weeks from Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase, who are leading this IPO. The filing also said co-founder and Chief Executive Drew Houston (pictured) has 24.4 percent of voting power in the company.
    Borked Apple devices are making bogus 911 in California

As mentioned above, the calls have been happening on a daily basis since October of 2017, with an average of 20 calls each day. A single facility seems to be at fault for hundreds of false alarm 911 calls from Apple devices over the past few months.
  • Donald Trump Sides with General Kelly in Security Squabble with Jared Kushner

Donald Trump Sides with General Kelly in Security Squabble with Jared Kushner

Among the potential problems: repeated amendments that he had to make to a form detailing his contacts with foreign officials. A source familiar with the matter said earlier this week that the situation had caused tensions between Kushner and Kelly.
    'He Never Went In': Stoneman Douglas Resource Officer Resigns

There are between 14,000 and 20,000 such officers in the USA , according to the National Association of School Resource Officers. "They'd go for special training and they would be there and you would no longer have a gun-free zone", Trump said.
    Steve Jobs' Job Application May Unlock Inspiration for iPhone Creation

Steve Jobs' time at Reed College was short, as he dropped out after only six months in order to help his parents save on money. Under "Skills", next to "Computer" and "Calculator", he writes "yes (design, tech)".
  • Clayton-Based Enterprise Drops NRA Discount For Rental Cars After Parkland Shooting

Clayton-Based Enterprise Drops NRA Discount For Rental Cars After Parkland Shooting

Among them is Flordia Governor Rick Scott , who supports raising the minimum age for gun purchases from 18-years-old to 21. Activists have also called on public pension funds to divest from gun maker stocks, which were broadly lower on Friday.
    Sony's New Xperia XZ2 Actually Looks Good

The XZ2 will be dust- and water-resistant have a 3,180mAh battery that can be charged via USB Type-C or via a wireless charger. The fingerprint sensor has also moved to the back, similar to what we saw in the L2/XA2/XA2 Ultra leaks.
    Donald Trump thinks 'a rating system' is needed for movies

The Motion Picture Association of America has a rating system that's used at movie theaters nationwide. The MPAA has taken plenty of flak over the years for its rating system.

Breaking News

Recommended

More flooding expected this weekend in Midwest

TONIGHT: Our active weather pattern will come to an end for a little while tonight as this final batch of rain moves out. Evacuations grew elsewhere across the Midwest after heavy rains and snowmelt sent rivers and streams out of their banks.

Much Colder Today; More Rain, Winter Weather Possible

Stay tuned for important updates! An already unsettled weather pattern is making things uncertain for the next 24 to 48 hours. Northwest of DFW, it will reach freezing, so a Winter Weather Advisory has been posted in the areas northwest of Fort Worth.

Dow rallies 347 points as stocks close higher for week

SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF (NYSEARCA:DIA) was the target of a large decrease in short interest in the month of January. A number of other hedge funds and other institutional investors have also recently modified their holdings of the business.

Trump praises Turnbull at White House

Diplomats - and even a mutual friend, golfer Greg Norman, who was at the White House on Friday - rushed to fix the damage. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has honoured the only Australian buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

Wizards hold off new-look Cavs

Tyronn Lue said that he will start LeBron James at small forward, Tristan Thompson at center and Cedi Osman at power forward. One of the biggest assists of the night came from Beal as he caught the inbound with just under a minute left in the game.

MetLife, Enterprise and Hertz among companies cutting ties with the NRA

The cybersecurity giant said Friday on Twitter that it "has stopped its discount program with the National Rifle Association". The NRA has faced increasing backlash following the Florida school shooting, one of the deadliest in the country.

Google Assistant to gain 30 languages, multilingual support

What this means is that users will be able to have Assistant handle a handful of separate tasks with a single command. Meanwhile, Google has worked closely with OEMs to improve the Assistant experience on third-party devices.

Ex-NFL player in custody after gun photo threatens former teammates, school

Former Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin posted a chilling Instagram story that forced a high school to close. Everybody is calm, a lot of people are leaving now, everything is under control.

SpaceX's Prototype Internet Satellites Are Up and Running

The experimental craft launched today as secondary payloads atop a Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. For this launch, the two halves of the fairing have been equipped with attitude-control thrusters and parachutes.

Study suggests 'modest' alcohol consumption can help you live past 90

Finally, people who spend two hours a day on a hobby are 21 percent less likely to die early. "Maybe that can tell us something". Moderate drinking, however, was not the only activity reported by The 90+ Study that had a positive impact on longevity .