• News
  • Tech

YouTube Apologizes for Shooting Conspiracy Video

The channel received a single "strike" in response to a video it posted about David Hogg, a 17-year-old Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student who has publicly advocated for gun reform in the wake of surviving the February 14 massacre, CNN reported.

When you violate YouTube's Community Guidelines, the offending content is taken down and you're issued a strike.

In the wake of the February 14 shooting rampage that left 17 dead, Hogg became one of the leading student voices advocating for gun reform via social media and during many TV interviews.

YouTube did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the conspiracy video, or its policy for similar situations.

On social media, the interview from past year is being pointed to as "evidence" to suggest that Hogg is a "crisis actor", a regular theme of conspiracists, who believe actors appear at the sites of tragedies. Following news of the removal of the David Hogg video, CNN says that it has reported further videos to YouTube and they are now being reviewed.

"Last summer we updated the application of our harassment policy to include hoax videos that target the victims of these tragedies", said a YouTube spokesperson. The channel has been in operation since 2008 and now boasts over 2.2 million subscribers.

But CNN has identified three YouTube videos from InfoWars that cite such hoaxes and asked if they also violated YouTube's policies.

CNN has sent repeated inquiries to YouTube on the outcome of that review, but has not received a response.

If a channel receives three strikes from YouTube within three months, it gets banned from YouTube.

InfoWars founder Alex Jones has spread conspiracy theories about school shootings before, including claiming the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012 was fake. Of Parkland, he acknowledges that "real people were shot". Jones has said there is "officially ... about a 90 percent chance" the attack in Florida was a "deep state false flag operation".

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment

Latest News

• Minnesota Timberwolves' Butler carried off court after injury

Minnesota Timberwolves' Butler carried off court after injury

The pay-per-view possibilities alone would be delicious, although the game would probably be unlikely during the season. The Rockets will look to run their win streak to 12 games when they visit the Denver Nuggets Sunday night.
    Trump praises Turnbull at White House

Trump praises Turnbull at White House

Diplomats - and even a mutual friend, golfer Greg Norman, who was at the White House on Friday - rushed to fix the damage. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has honoured the only Australian buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.
    Study suggests 'modest' alcohol consumption can help you live past 90

Finally, people who spend two hours a day on a hobby are 21 percent less likely to die early. "Maybe that can tell us something". Moderate drinking, however, was not the only activity reported by The 90+ Study that had a positive impact on longevity .
  • Wizards hold off new-look Cavs

Wizards hold off new-look Cavs

Tyronn Lue said that he will start LeBron James at small forward, Tristan Thompson at center and Cedi Osman at power forward. One of the biggest assists of the night came from Beal as he caught the inbound with just under a minute left in the game.
    Donald Trump thinks 'a rating system' is needed for movies

The Motion Picture Association of America has a rating system that's used at movie theaters nationwide. The MPAA has taken plenty of flak over the years for its rating system.
    Files Go adds quicker way of backing up files to Google Drive

It'll be an interesting move by Reliance Jio because it can still bring over most of its KaiOS-based apps to Android Go devices . Android Enterprise Recommended could make Android phones more appealing to enterprises who need resilience and manageability.
  • Donald Trump Sides with General Kelly in Security Squabble with Jared Kushner

Donald Trump Sides with General Kelly in Security Squabble with Jared Kushner

Among the potential problems: repeated amendments that he had to make to a form detailing his contacts with foreign officials. A source familiar with the matter said earlier this week that the situation had caused tensions between Kushner and Kelly.
    MetLife, Enterprise and Hertz among companies cutting ties with the NRA

The cybersecurity giant said Friday on Twitter that it "has stopped its discount program with the National Rifle Association". The NRA has faced increasing backlash following the Florida school shooting, one of the deadliest in the country.
    Team USA is suddenly surging at the Winter Olympics

The general manager of Canada's national team programs says they expect professionalism and sportsmanship from their players. American David Wise has successfully defended his gold medal in the men's halfpipe , edging teammate Alex Ferreira .
  • Dow rallies 347 points as stocks close higher for week

Dow rallies 347 points as stocks close higher for week

SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF (NYSEARCA:DIA) was the target of a large decrease in short interest in the month of January. A number of other hedge funds and other institutional investors have also recently modified their holdings of the business.
    Sony's New Xperia XZ2 Actually Looks Good

The XZ2 will be dust- and water-resistant have a 3,180mAh battery that can be charged via USB Type-C or via a wireless charger. The fingerprint sensor has also moved to the back, similar to what we saw in the L2/XA2/XA2 Ultra leaks.
    Major fitness boost confirmed ahead of Liverpool clash v West Ham

As far as betting is concerned, I don't think we are getting a good enough price to bet on Liverpool to win outright. That being said, I think the best bet is the over 2.5 goals.
  • More flooding expected this weekend in Midwest

More flooding expected this weekend in Midwest

TONIGHT: Our active weather pattern will come to an end for a little while tonight as this final batch of rain moves out. Evacuations grew elsewhere across the Midwest after heavy rains and snowmelt sent rivers and streams out of their banks.
    International Olympic Committee  to decide Russia's fate today

International Olympic Committee to decide Russia's fate today

The International Olympic Committee will decide today if the country can use its flag at tomorrow's closing ceremony. That's why bobsled pilot Nadezhda Sergeeva proudly wore a t-shirt that proclaimed, "I don't do doping ". "I feel it.
    Borked Apple devices are making bogus 911 in California

As mentioned above, the calls have been happening on a daily basis since October of 2017, with an average of 20 calls each day. A single facility seems to be at fault for hundreds of false alarm 911 calls from Apple devices over the past few months.
  • Clayton-Based Enterprise Drops NRA Discount For Rental Cars After Parkland Shooting

Clayton-Based Enterprise Drops NRA Discount For Rental Cars After Parkland Shooting

Among them is Flordia Governor Rick Scott , who supports raising the minimum age for gun purchases from 18-years-old to 21. Activists have also called on public pension funds to divest from gun maker stocks, which were broadly lower on Friday.
    Bitcoin rises above $11000, first time since January

The cryptomarket will likely take its cues from Bitcoin however, with Bitcoin dominance continuing to rise, now sitting at 39.2. Yesterday, Bitcoin hit its highest price point of the year, surging to $11,700 before dropping by more than $1,000.
    SpaceX's Prototype Internet Satellites Are Up and Running

The experimental craft launched today as secondary payloads atop a Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. For this launch, the two halves of the fairing have been equipped with attitude-control thrusters and parachutes.

Breaking News

Recommended

Third period dooms Badgers at Ohio State

IN has progressed steadily all season, understands what coach Archie Miller expects and have learned how to challenge everyone. As a guaranteed top-four seed, Ohio State is locked into a double-bye into the quarterfinals, which will be held on Friday.

FBI Recorded Arizona Coach Allegedly Discussing $100K Payment For Deandre Ayton

The FBI has recorded 3,000 hours of conversation between the two, which were tapped through Dawkins' phone. Ayton is now a freshman on the No. 14-ranked Wildcats, where he averages 19 points and 10 rebounds a game.

Much Colder Today; More Rain, Winter Weather Possible

Stay tuned for important updates! An already unsettled weather pattern is making things uncertain for the next 24 to 48 hours. Northwest of DFW, it will reach freezing, so a Winter Weather Advisory has been posted in the areas northwest of Fort Worth.

Shocking- Bollywood actress Sridevi is no more ..

Sridevi is honoured with Padma Sri award in 2013 by Government of India, while other honours and awards are unlimited for her. Legendary Bollywood actress Sridevi passed away late on Saturday night following cardiac arrest, India media reported.

Pentagon Will Not Confirm Russian Stealth Fighters Deployed to Syria

Israeli satellite imagery has confirmed the deployment of Russia's newest Sukhoi Su-57 stealth fighter jets in war-torn Syria . The list of adversaries Russian Federation would need Su-57 fighters to combat is uncomfortably short.

The Government Confirms Support for Opt-Out Organ Donation Bill

Seven hundred and twenty-one of them are Utahns waiting for a life-saving organ to become available. Ms Doyle-Price said the current system meant lives are being lost "unnecessarily".

Google Assistant to gain 30 languages, multilingual support

What this means is that users will be able to have Assistant handle a handful of separate tasks with a single command. Meanwhile, Google has worked closely with OEMs to improve the Assistant experience on third-party devices.

Kansas City to trade CB Marcus Peters to Los Angeles Rams

While the deal has already been agreed upon, it cannot be made official until the start of a new league year on March 14th. Peters then left the field without having been ejected, infamously returning a few minutes later without socks.

Anbang is big test of China's non-market market

The CIRC also said Anbang's chairman and key shareholder, Wu Xiaohui , has been prosecuted for economic crimes. Anbang distributes insurance through multiple channels, with the bulk going through banks.

Steve Jobs' Job Application May Unlock Inspiration for iPhone Creation

Steve Jobs' time at Reed College was short, as he dropped out after only six months in order to help his parents save on money. Under "Skills", next to "Computer" and "Calculator", he writes "yes (design, tech)".